Thankfully, today’s heating systems are as safe as they’ve ever been. There are building codes and gas and electric regulations in place to make sure a heater is installed properly. And advanced technology has brought us the integration of safety switches that stop a heater in case of emergency and keep our homes and families safer.

But, from time to time, we still hear a tragic story of a poisonous carbon monoxide leak originating from a heater, or a similar story that might make you feel worried. We’re here to offer our advice on how to stay safe while running your heating system in the winter. Call us to learn more.

Check Carbon Monoxide Detectors

You should be testing the alarm on your carbon monoxide detectors each and every month, just as you do with your smoke detectors. In addition, you should change the batteries every 6 months.

Don’t have any CO detectors in the home? A carbon monoxide leak is undetectable by other means, because it is an odorless, colorless gas. You’ll need to have these installed in areas where people sleep and replace carbon monoxide detectors every 7-10 years.

Only Call Qualified Technicians for Service

You should never attempt to service a heating system on your own, and you should not assume a heating system is safe to run when it’s in need of repair. Strange noises, low temperatures, and other performance issues could all be signs that your heating system may overheat, making it more of a safety hazard. Call a technician right away.

A qualified technician has years of training on furnaces of different sizes, makes, and models and can quickly and accurately diagnose a heating issue.

Schedule Heating Inspections Each Year

Finally, be sure to have a qualified technician look over your heating system each and every year, no matter how well it seems to be performing. A malfunctioning safety switch or cracked heat exchanger may mean the system does not switch off when your home is at risk, but an annual safety inspection from a qualified technician can give you peace of mind to get through the rest of winter.

Call Us Today  254-624-4917